Math Talk Teacher Tools and Resources
Teacher Resources for Assessing and Talking in Math Class
Looking for more ways to integrate math discourse and assessment in your classroom? Browse our teacher tools and resources to find related books, informative videos, and practical ideas to help you continue the math conversation.
Math Reasoning InventoryWe are excited to present
Math Reasoning Inventory (MRI),
an online formative assessment tool now
available free of charge to all teachers.
Read about MRI in an article
written by Marilyn Burns, founder
of Math Solutions, and then visit www.mathreasoninginventory.com.
Related Math Talk Titles
- Classroom Discussions: Using Math Talk to Help Students Learn, Grades K–6, Second Edition
- Classroom Discussions: Seeing Math Discourse in Action, Grades K–6, A Multimedia Professional Learning Resource
- Number Talks: Helping Children Build Mental Math and Computation, Grades K–5, A Multimedia Professional Learning Resource
- Good Questions for Math Teaching: Why Ask Them and What to Ask, Grades K–6 and 5–8
- Show and Tell: Representing and Communicating Mathematical Ideas in K–2 Classrooms
Math Talk Articles
- How to Get Students Talking!
- Q&A: Using Talk in Math Class to Help Students Learn
- The Importance of Questioning
- Lesson: What Could Be the Sum—A Lesson with Third Graders, from Good Questions for Math Teaching, Grades K–6
Free Math Talk Lessons!
See Math Talk in Action
Watch these videos of Math Talk being used in real classrooms, and hear what educators are saying about it:
Related Assessment Titles
- INFORMative Assessment: Formative Assessment to Improve Math Achievement, Grades K–6
- How to Assess While You Teach Math: Formative Assessment Practices and Lessons, Grades K–2, A Multimedia Professional Learning Resource
Free Assessment Lessons!
See Formative Assessment in Action
English Language Learners
Related Differentiate Instruction/
English Language Learners Titles
- Supporting English Language Learners in Math Class, Grades K–5, A Multimedia Professional Learning Resource
- Math for All, Differentiating Instruction Complete Series
Free Differentiating and ELL Lessons!
Get started with these free differentiating and ELL lessons from Math Solutions
- Estimating Length: Differentiating Within a Unit
- Post-Assessment Tasks for Grades K–2
- Identifying and Describing Polygons
- Helping English Language Learners Make Sense of Math Word Problems
- Part 1: Audio Interview with Rusty Bresser and Kathy Melanese
- Part 2: Audio Interview with Rusty Bresser and Kathy Melanese
Spread the Word!
Get people talking about Math Talk! Math Solutions can be found on all of your favorite social networking sites. Please connect with us and help spread the word!Follow Math Solutions on Twitter Like Math Solutions on Facebook
The Math Talk Community
Join a brand new math discourse community, created exclusively for educators like you! Our Math Talk Community is designed to strengthen your Math Talk curriculum and lesson plans by allowing you to ask our experts questions, share Math Talk stories, post your own blogs, and connect with other educators.